Monday, August 8, 2011

Trying To Keep Up

I’ve been painting a great deal of the time since I returned from Easton and, in fact, now have a number of new images I’d like to share with you.

“Sea Cliff” 11 X 12.5 oil on canvas was painted this morning in the lovely village of Sea Cliff, NY. This was a kind of scholastic homecoming of sorts for me as I studied with Mr. and Mrs. Stevenson just around the corner from where this was painted. Despite the mounting August heat I was very comfortable while painting this one because I was able to get a parking spot beneath a tree and the parking space was so wide that it accommodated my car, my self and my easel. You can see by the foreground perspective that I am standing in the road. “Sea Cliff” is available for sale.

“Hempstead Harbor” 8.5 X 14 oil on canvas was painted this past Saturday morning down at Garvies Point in Glen Cove. I began at 7 AM and was finished at about 9:15. I tell you this because I want to help you get a picture of an artist standing alone working on the somewhat quiet, still morning beach…where I was approached by a Jehovah’s Witness who attempted right then and there to save my lost soul! I realize that I am out working in public and people are interested in what I do and I genuinely don’t mind taking the time to chat. But do not interrupt my work to try to push your religious views on me. I will be very rude to you! “Hempstead Harbor” is already sold.

“A Walk On The Beach” was painted on a very hot day on the northernmost tip of Caumsett State Park. It is what I feel is a typical view of what the North Shore of Long Island looks like and is still available for sale.

“Sunday Morning Field 5” 11 X 14 oil on canvas was painted last Sunday down at City Stadium in Glen Cove, NY. I was riding around in the plein air mobile looking for something to paint when I was taken by the red uniforms of the kids (yes, both teams wore red) against the green trees. I spent a great deal of my youth down at this stadium playing Little League baseball and am always amazed by how little the place has changed in 45 years. It is always such a nice feeling to be there. This painting is sold.

“Front Lit” 9 X 12 oil on canvas was done as a demo for my regular Thursday night class. It was done quickly and very loosely and I was very happy with the result, in particular the warm feeling of the light on the green foliage. “Front Lit” is still available.

Weather permitting I plan to head out tonight for my first nocturne of the year down at the Long Island Rail Road station in Locust Valley and, weather permitting again, might head out to the Hamptons tomorrow to do a small commission and try to get in some other painting while in the area. Check back soon to view these pieces. And thanks, as always, for your interest in my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment