Sunday, December 12, 2010

Apples and Sherry


If you live where I do on the North Shore of Long Island then you are aware, as am I, that everything outside is brown. Just brown. Certainly I could go down to the water and find some different color. Perhaps I’m being lazy? I am in the process of getting myself outfitted to paint outdoors in the winter but am not there yet. If I thought I could withstand the elements for 2 hours I would be doing just that. I miss the outdoors.

But I also love the way light falls on things. It doesn’t matter much to me what the thing is as long as the light is nice. And I love to paint apples! Boy do I love to paint apples! I am not, nor will I ever be, a sherry drinker but we have this bottle in the house as a substitute for rice wine for stir frying and I liked the shape, value and color.

So, let me say it now…I no longer wish to paint from photographic reference. I want to spend the rest of my days painting from life. I think of myself as a landscape painter but, if the landscape is not exciting me, I will set something up in the studio and paint it.

And I am happy with it.

But I am waiting for it to snow outside!

Note that all of these small sketches are available for sale directly from me via this website. Simply click on the “Paintings and Prints” tab and then on “Available Paintings”. The price includes shipping costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment